So, I made this amazing soup/chili after my friend, Kaitlin, chief-beauty-blogger at Orange Lipstick, raved that it was the best soup ever and sent me the recipe. This is another great cold weather recipe, though I make it all year round. This is my favorite kind of recipe- it goes in the crock pot. It’s one of those “you probably already have everything you need in the pantry and refrigerator” meals, so it makes a great fix for those days that you just can’t (or don’t want to) spend too much time in the kitchen. (If you’re in a hurry, after browning the meat, just simmer all ingredients together for 30-45 minutes.)
While the recipe says to use packets of seasoning, you know I like to mix my own. 1 traditional packet is 1 ounce. I use this recipe for ranch dressing mix (makes 1 cup, so about 8 “packets” worth- I just break it up into 8 Ziplock bags for later) and this one for taco season (makes 1 ounce, so 1 “packet” worth).
- 2.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 Vidalia onion
- 2 packets of ranch dressing mix
- 2 packets of taco seasoning
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of light red kidney beans
- 1 can of pinto beans
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of tomatoes w/ medium green chiles
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of water
- shredded cheese (fresh herbs, sour cream, etc.) for topping*
1. Chop up onion and combine with beef in skillet. Be sure to break up the meat. Brown meat and drain off fat.
2. Mix together all ingredients in the crock pot- do not drain any of the beans or corn.
3. Cook on low for about 4 hours. Top with cheese, tortilla chips, corn bread, or sour cream.
*I use cilantro on top and absolutely cannot stop eating it.