So, I keep a big binder full of all of my recipes, including the ones I hope to try. This one popped out at me as something a little different and incredibly tasty sounding, so I put it on my “dinner list” last week…for the record, it was Friday’s dinner. As it bears a resemblance to the chicken pot pie recipe I tried recently that I really enjoyed, it wasn’t much of a gamble that it was going to be good and it SO was. I’ll be making this again in the near future.
- 2 cup chicken, cooked and diced
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I used sharp white cheddar)
- 1/2 package pie crust (I used Immaculate Bakery brand), thawed
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onions, celery and broccoli and cook to soften about 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook an additional minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add broth, milk, cream, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Use a whisk to combine, then add in cooked chicken. Heat over medium heat until warm, about 10-15 minutes.
- To make crust strips, unroll thawed pie crust (for one crust). Cut into strips and lay on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 6-8 minutes, until browned. Remove from oven.
- To assemble, Pour soup into individual ramekins and top with shredded cheese and pieces of pie crust strips.