I know this is insanely out of season, but since Husband’s top request was to have homemade ice cream waiting for him when he got home, this is my post! This is a super simple recipe from Epicurious that yields an incredibly tasty result. I could not stop eating it out of the ice cream maker. It’s not over the top sweet, so if that’s what you’re going for, tweak the sugar content to your taste. As per some reviewers of the original recipe, I’ve added 1 tablespoon of vodka which helps lower the freezing temperature, keeping it from developing ice crystals so quickly after you put it in the freezer.
- 3/4 cup sugar (preferably organic)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/4 cups sliced hulled strawberries
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon vodka
1. Stir sugar and cornstarch in heavy medium saucepan. Whisk in milk and cream. Whisk over medium heat until gelato base thickens and begins to bubble, about 5 minutes. Pour into bowl. Cool over ice, stirring occasionally.
2. Puree strawberries in processor. Strain into gelato base. Mix in pomegranate juice and vodka. Chill 3 hours. Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to container. Cover; freeze until firm, at least 3 hours and up to 2 days.