So, this is one that I’ve been wanting to try for a while. It’s a super simple recipe, but SO incredibly tasty. I got to make this while here in North Carolina with my parents and it was a hit. I adapted this Grilled Pesto Chicken and Tomato Kebabs recipe from Skinny Taste, mostly because it was somewhere around 17 degrees outside when it was time to cook, so there was no one willing to brave the grill (me included). I give the grill/skewer recipe instructions, but I did this on the stovetop in a pan and it delicious. Disregard the maraschino cherries in the chicken picture- they’re not part of the recipe, they were just my snack while cooking 🙂
I did this with a side of squash, broccoli and kale and it was divine. As shown above, I kept the kale and cherry tomatoes out and added them toward the end of the cooking process so they wouldn’t get over cooked. I waited until the chicken had just a little pink left in the middle to add the tomatoes in and I actually waited until the squash and broccoli were completely done before adding the kale while plating the other food.
- 3 heaping Tbsp basil pesto
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1-1/4 lbs skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 16 wooden skewers
My veggie mix
- 3 medium squash
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1/4 head of kale
1. In a food processor pulse basil pesto, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil while pulsing.
2. Combine the raw chicken with pesto and marinate a few hours in a bowl. Soak wooden skewers in water at least 30 minutes (or use metal ones to avoid this step). Beginning and ending with chicken, thread chicken and tomatoes onto 8 pairs of parallel skewers to make 8 kebabs total.
3. Set the broccoli and squash to steam while you cook the chicken and tomatoes. Add the kale at the very end, as you’re plating the kebabs.
4. Heat the outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over medium heat until hot. Be sure the grates are clean and spray lightly with oil. Place the chicken on the hot grill and cook about 3-4 minutes; turn and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes.